Game Design and Development 2 2019
- 14.03. Guest Lecture „Rainer Angermann“, CEO Rarebyte
- 29.03.Lecture 0 – Intro
- 01.04. 15:00 Guest Lecture „Leonel Morgado“
- 05.04. Lecture 1 – Announcement Assignment 1
- 12.04. no lecture (Everyone is at the Reboot conference)
- 03.05. Lecture 2 – Submit Assignment 1
- 10.05. Lecture 3 – Submit First Prototypes, Announcement Assignment 2
- 17.05. Lecture 4
- 24.05. Lecture 5
- 07.06. Submit Assignment 2
- 14.06. Lecture 6
- 21.06. (Substitute Lecture)
- 28.06. (Substitute Lecture)
- 06.09. – 08.09. Game Dev Days
- 04.10. – Submit Final Submission?
- Game Design Document Template: https://github.com/JoeyPrink/GDDtemplate/
- Template GDC Talk Summary: https://github.com/JoeyPrink/TUGameDev
- 29.3. QWOP Bennett Foddy: http://www.foddy.net/Athletics.html
- 5.4. Baba is You: https://hempuli.itch.io/baba-is-you
- List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18G_jUDguaQq3DxEmKJamRqfqlqmUdcmOdLD6QenVdfY/edit#gid=0
- 29.3. „Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality Postmortem: VR Lessons *burrrp* Learned“ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aqIbeQQL8c
- 5.4. „Star Wars: Battlefront and the Art of Photogrammetry“ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_WaqCBp9zo
- Assignment 1
- Submit by 03.05 23:59
05.4. 11:00 send email with the group names + describing ideas (max 300 characters)
- send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- subject: [GDD] idea
- Groupwork (70%)
- 10P: AI Topic Summary+ Mini Presentation
- 60P: (Game with Special Devices / VR & AI + Design Document + Video + Presentation & Exhibition)
- Design + Idea (Game Mechanics etc.)
- Game Design Document
- Video + Game Pitch (Final Presentations)
- Game + Gameplay
- QA Feedback!
- First prototype: May
- Final presentations End of June / Start of Oct
- 2 Individual Homeworks (30%) – also for the London Group
Books Recommendations for this course
This is my personal recommendation for a reading list. And also a list of books I use for the lecture.
*** Jane McGonigal – Reality is Broken One of my favorite books. Jane McGonigal gives some inspirations and ideas of how to use games in different contexts. Reads like a novel and avoids theoretical aspects.
*** Jesse Schell – The Art of Game Design This is the book I am using a lot for my lecture. Very good summary of the most important design aspects from different points of view (technical aspects, player psychology, all different design things).
*** Scott Rogers – Level Up (2nd Edition) Also a very good design on game design. I’ve especially enjoyed the bonus chapters with inspirational lists for environments, game mechanics, and different templates as an inspirational resource for your games.
** Jeremy Gibson – Introduction to Game Design, Prototyping, and Development This book gives also a very nice introduction to game design techniques, but in a more practical manner. The main part of this book is a Unity and C# tutorial.
** Raph Koster – A Theory of Fun I simply love the style of this book. It has comics and sketches 😉
* Flow – Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi Wonderful book (THE book) about the flow experience with neat examples from all different fields.
* Katie Salen & Eric Zimmerman – Rules of Play Very interesting book on game design with a lot of practical examples. Note: Amazon credit me a small referral amount, should you purchase a book after following these links.